With the arrival of spring out here at Skender Lake, we decided to let the land provide us with some food. I wouldn’t call anything deep-fried healthy “living off the land”, but it was a nice way to easy the kids (Tawny) into something like picking weeds and eating them.
We’ve harvested dandelions twice now and have made these delicious appetizers.
1. Pick dandelions. The ones that are most fully bloomed seem to turn out best.
2. Wash dandelions. We put them in a bowl of water, let them soak a while and then rinsed them off.
3. Beat 1 egg and dip dandelions in the egg, covering them completely.
4. Dip and cover with breading. We used Andy’s Fish Breading. You could also use cornflakes or really any type of breading.
5. Drop breaded dandelions in hot oil. I think you could use any type of frying oil. Fry them until they are browned and remove with tongs. We let ours sit on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
If you have dandelions in your yard and want to put them to good use, give this a try. I’d just make sure they’re not from a part of the yard that dogs might use.